Entertainment Weekly has published a few new classic 100 / 25 / 10 lists from the last 25 years of entertainment. One of them is a list of the new classic 100 movies in the last 25 years. I guess the full list is copyright them. I’ll run down a few I’ve seen and a few I’ve not seen but would like to.
- 1. Pulp Fiction – I missed the initial release of this movie, but really do love it now that I’m ‘in’ on it.
- 2. The Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-03) – What’s to be said other than has it truly been 7 years?
- 9. Die Hard (1988) – Truly a classic, genre-defining.
- 12. The Matrix (1999) – Wow, nearly 10 years. A leap forward in movie making and just awesome.
- 19. Casino Royale (2006) – Hmm, a classic? Maybe, maybe not, certainly one of the more enjoyable Bond movies though.
- 23. Memento (2001) – clever and entertaining, but not one to watch if you have a headache coming on.
- 25. Shrek (2001) – proof that you don’t need people on screen to make a good script fly.
- 27. Aliens (1986) – setting the standard for ‘squad combat’ movies since ’86.
- 29. The Bourne Supremacy (2004) – re-defined the special agent genre for me.
- 36. Spider-Man 2 (2004) – classic? Not so sure it was that good.
- 40. Speed (1994) – looks dated and cheesy now, but it was tense and hardcore at the time.
- 58. Ghostbusters (1984) – maybe one of the movies that made me love the movies.
- 61. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) – Same year as Ghostbusters? Wow.
- 62. sex, lies and videotape (1989) – All hype, no entertainment.
- 64. No Country For Old Men (2007) – well, read my review to see if I agreed.
- 85. The 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005) – Grete cried, and cried with laughter, maybe I should watch it.
- 94. Full Metal Jacket (1987) – I keep meaning to check it out. I heard about it at school 😉
Check out the full list, it’s quite interesting. They’ve also got links to little write ups for each of the films.
Other interesting bits were Neil Gaiman’s 10 new classic monsters, Sarah Michelle Gellar lists 10 male characters she’d like to play and the new 25 classic death scenes.