Best laid plans
I planned to work on the major clothing areas on the Sasha piece after finishing the eyes for the third part in the diary painting thing (part one here, part two here). However, if you read my post on inspiration then you’ll know I ended up doing Sasha’s hair. Hair is one of those funny things, although we talk about it being black or brown or blonde or red, it’s really not those colours and it’s very hard to just simply paint hair. Harder than you might imagine, so when I find a colour combination that works I’m really quite happy.
While painting the deadly hammer wielding nun in the inspiration article I found that one of the brown paints in the new paint set is really good as a base hair colour, which I then wash with a brown wash and dry brush highlights onto. It’s really effective. So once I’d got it looking nice on the nun, I picked up Sasha and did her hair. That’s it, that’s all I got painted on her in this session. Sometimes that’s the way it goes, I’ll paint huge areas and get loads done (if I’m inspired) or each section will be a real chore forcing me to keep going (if inspiration is a little lacking that day).
So, Sasha got her hair sorted, hopefully soon she’ll get some clothing as well. Her clothes really are quite interesting with multiple layers and lots of scope so I’m quite excited about painting them, but I’m also concerned I’ll screw them out, so I’m probably going to try and get into a bit of a groove by working on other miniatures first / as well. I find that I get better and re-learn things after a long time away and that a few weeks in my hand is a lot steadier.