I originally wrote this a couple of weeks ago while I was feeling bitter about something or other. I kept looking at the draft and thinking I’d reword it so it made more sense, but frankly, I don’t have the energy so here’s the raw post as-is.
- decide beforehand (either consciously or unconsciously) how the story must or should go, how it should be played out, how it should end.
- expect a specific style of storytelling and get that confused with the actual story itself.
- assume that a sequel or franchise movie must have the same style and flavour of the previous movies.
- believe that a pivotal role can only be played by a certain person.
- go in expecting your version of the film and not with an open mind about how someone else might do it.